Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1 and 2 of the Challenge

”#flatschallenge”
I forgot to post yesterday. Oops. Here are the rules for the Flats and Handwashing Challenge. I was kept pretty busy with the kiddos. I did change the Sisters more often than I normally did because I was mainly using my flour sack towels and birdseye flats. Plus I was dealing with a constipated Baby Sister suddenly not being constipated any more. I think yesterday I was just trying to stay on top of things. I did pretty well and changed a total of 12 flats between both girls and used 4 covers total. I washed my diapers in my camp style washer and had some sore hands. Next time I'm not going to attempt washing that many diapers all at one time. I hung them to dry in the only free area in my house - my basement. I wrung them out as best as I could and then snapped them (getting water in my face when I did that) and thought I did a good job.

Today, I decided to use a different approach when I woke up to discover the diapers that I hung to dry last night were still wet and it was raining and cloudy all day. Last night I finished using an overcasting stitch all around all but 2 of the flats I made on Sunday night. That was my flat of choice today and I used the pad fold and I now love how easy it is to fit in a flip cover or a Thirsties cover. I felt like I could have them in the flats a little longer today because I was using the flannel flats and they seemed pretty absorbent. I still like how trim they are and I may just use pad folded flats in the few pockets I have after the challenge. Baby Sister's flat first thing this morning was pretty bulky but it was a receiving blanket folded in the pad fold and folded over in the front. I love fluffy bums on my babies since they are pretty skinny and petite. In the morning I plan on washing today's diapers and hanging them to dry outside. Tomorrow there will be more pictures too.

No comments: