Friday, September 25, 2009

Helping others out

I gave some tips in person yesterday when I took baby sister to a parenting meeting in a t-shirt and a Haute Pocket. I think that educating others on the different types of cloth diapers out there now helps them decide whether it is a good idea to make the switch from disposables to cloth. I feel pretty good about the info I gave. I even gave away the diapers I don't really use all the time to let one of my friends try them out on her child. It feels good to help others out.

The reason I started this blog wasn't just to show off my sewing I wanted to help inform anyone about the things that are out there and how to sew them yourself. Now the basics - cloth diapers are very different from the ones my mom used on me and my siblings. They have better covers that breathe so there are fewer rashes - no more plastic pants. There are different styles of diapers out there - prefolds and flats, fitteds, pockets, and All-in-ones (AIO). Prefolds and flats still need to be folded on the baby. Fitteds are my personal favorite they can be made out of many different materials and they do not need to be folded. Prefolds and fitteds need covers so that they don't leak onto any clothes that are on top of them. Pockets are usually made out of Polyurithane Laminate (PUL) outer and a wicking fabric on the inside like microfleece or suedecloth. They have a pocket (hence the name) in them that you stuff with an insert (I use microfiber inserts). The most costly diapers are AIOs but they are the closest to disposables you don't stuff them and you just put them on. The covers are usually made out of PUL but I've seen some made out of nylon (Dappi covers) I love making them out of fleece and I'm on the lookout for some wool to try. I've heard that wool is more absorbant and it has antimicrobial characteristics. Plus you don't need to wash them as often either - another bonus! To start I'd suggest trying out the different styles to see what works for you and your lifestyle.


That's just the basics

No comments: